[yocto] Embedded Linux Package Management

Prasant J pj0585 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 01:34:13 PDT 2015

Hi,

I'm looking for package management for my embedded linux systems
(yocto on armv7 iMX6Q)

I'm looking for the following features:

(a) Install & remove a package
(b) Install packages and its dependencies
(c) Install a package with conflicts, such that the conflicting
package is force removed
(d) A local location with packages should serve as a package source
(e) Remote server package (http file server based)
(f) List of my packages installed
(g) List of my packages not installed but available on the http file server
(h) List of my packages that have updates (new version)
(i) To be able to manage packages for multiple architectures (eg. rpm
can produce packages for multiple architectures using one spec file)

The above features will be invoked by the application GUI.
Any suggestions: which package management solution would answer all
the above use cases?

I have tried smart + rpm, but from my preliminary research suggests
that smart is no longer developed (Am I correct?). Also I failed to
setup remote repository [case (e)] and also case (h) failed.

I am currently trying out yum + rpm, but it fails to answer case (f).
It can lists all my packages but does not tell me if it is installed
or available on the repo.
I could make it work by additional steps (work around), but it will be
good if the tool itself supports these features.
It also fails case (c), does not force remove conflicting package.

I also looked at opkg, but the last stable release seems to be v0.2.4
(v0.3.0-rc2 is current). Is it mature enough to be used? Does ipk
packages support all features as rpm packages would support
(dependencies, conflicts, groups) ?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions. It would be very helpful if
someone who has worked with package management on linux systems can
give some inputs.

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Pj