[yocto] Application Dev & Package Management

Erik Bolton EBolton at agjunction.com
Wed Mar 18 13:19:41 PDT 2015

Hey All:

I'm trying to switch a large project we've been working on for years from TinyCore to yocto.

I've avoided dealing with this up until now, but it can't wait any longer.

I want to keep the yocto SDK that we distribute to our development team as lean as possible so that we don't have to send out ~100MB install scripts every week.

We do, however, have a lot of internally developed libraries that change during each major release, so I need a simple way of installing the packages for those libraries and their dependencies to the target sysroot in the SDK dir (/opt/poky/1.7.1/sysroots/<target_arch>).

The documentation covers this scenario briefly here:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.7.1/adt-manual/adt-manual.html#configuring-the-pms

Here's the problem. Yocto sets the default package output type to RPM, but the example uses OPKG. So I switched the output to ipk, but OPKG doesn't allow capital letters in the package names. I've put together about 40 some recipes for our libraries and tools, many of which have capital letters.

I've tried to get the rpm command line tool to install packages from the build repo to the sysroot directory, but haven't had any luck. After a bit of Googling, I've found most RPM reference for repos will refer to YUM commands, which isn't much help.

I also tried to use smartpm on my workstation since it's the recommended package manager for runtime (on the target itself), but smart has very little reference so I ran into a wall there as well.

Right now it looks like I have two options:

1)      Bite the bullet and switch all my recipes to use names that don't violate OPKGs naming rules.

2)      Find a way to make RPM work.

What do you guys recommend? Any suggestions for the RPM route?

Thanks.
-Erik

Disclaimer: This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of AgJunction Inc and its subsidiaries. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.