[yocto] Automatically include all recipes/packages in a custom layer

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sat Mar 14 04:35:07 PDT 2015

On Saturday 14 March 2015 12:51:31 Padam Jeet Singh wrote:
> I am trying to build a custom layer on top of core-image-full-cmdline.
> Basically I did this:
>
> 1. Created a new general layer using the yocto-layer command. This also
> generated a simple hello world recipe. 2. Added that layer in the
> conf/bblayers.conf BBLAYERS variable.
>
> Then I do a bitbake -v core-image-full-cmdline, and I don’t see
> /usr/bin/helloworld in the final rootfs.
>
> Then I edit the conf/local.conf and add the following:
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " example”
>
> and then I can see the helloworld in the rootfs.
>
> Since I will be adding close to 50 recipes in this layer, isn’t there an
> option where all recipes in that layer are included by default? Even if I
> have to declare each recipe to be included, is there a place where I can
> define those in my own layer configuration (layer.conf) rather than
> local.conf?

Firstly, I'd recommend you create your own custom image recipe(s) rather than
adding packages via local.conf. Secondly, the way to handle bringing in a
large number of packages as a unit is to create a packagegroup recipe within
your custom layer to pull in all the packages you want installed, and then you
just need to add that packagegroup to your image.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton