[yocto] eclipse-poky: Can't build from Eclipse, but command line build works

Bryan Evenson bevenson at melinkcorp.com
Thu Mar 12 06:43:14 PDT 2015

Todor,

> It appears that your toolchain is configured properly, however the  GNU linker (ld) cannot find the libraries it needs to link the binary.
> I suspect that the culprit is "--sysroot=$SDKTARGETSYSROOT"
> There should be an environment setup file
>
> /<home_path>/poky/poky-build/tmp/environment-setup-XX
>
> If you open it you will see SDKTARGETSYSROOT environment variable. It most likely points to a different sysroot path.
> Please change it to point to the directory where you extracted your sysroot (/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2),
> create a new project and see if that builds OK.

I've been having a few other issues with Eclipse (Install New Software menu item disappearing, other plugins disappearing after restarting, etc.), so I uninstalled eclipse, deleted my ~/.eclipse and workspace directories and re-installed Eclipse.  I need to run Eclipse Kepler (another plugin I'm using isn't ready for Eclipse Luna), so I followed these instructions for installing Eclipse by hand: http://www.92wiki.com/en/blog/detail/install-eclipse-kepler-on-fedora-17-18-19-centos-red-hat-rhel-5-6.   I also edited my environment setup script as suggested.  I then reinstalled all necessary plugins as described in the ADT manual.  I pointed the toolchain to my build directory and the sysroot location to my extracted sysroot.  I then followed the steps in the ADT manual to create a new Hello World Yocto ADT project.  I verified the SDKTARGETSYSROOT environment variable in the new project points to my extracted sysroot.  When I attempted to build, I get the following output:

Invoking autogen.sh in build directory: /<home_path>/workspace/adt_test/

Command-line environment variables:
         CFLAGS=" -g -O0  --sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2" CXXFLAGS=" -g -O0  --sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2" LDFLAGS=" --sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2" CPPFLAGS=" --sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2"

sh -c "/<home_path>/workspace/adt_test/autogen.sh --with-libtool-sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2 --target=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --host=arm-poky-linux-gnueabi --build=x86_64-linux --with-libtool-sysroot=/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2"
aclocal: warning: couldn't open directory '/<home_path>/extracted_sysroot_1.6.2/usr/share/aclocal': No such file or directory
configure.ac:16: warning: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE: two- and three-arguments forms are deprecated.  For more info, see:
configure.ac:16: http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Modernize-AM_005fINIT_005fAUTOMAKE-invocation
configure.ac:20: installing './compile'
configure.ac:20: installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:20: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:16: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:16: installing './missing'
src/Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/endian-little
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/arm-common
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/common-linux
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/common-glibc
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/arm-linux
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta/site/common
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/meta-openembedded/meta-oe/site/endian-little
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/poky-build/tmp/sysroots/at91sam9x5ek/usr/share/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi_config_site.d/ncurses_config
configure: loading site script /<home_path>/poky/poky-build/tmp/sysroots/at91sam9x5ek/usr/share/arm-poky-linux-gnueabi_config_site.d/eglibc_config
checking for arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-strip... arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-strip
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /usr/bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make supports nested variables... yes
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... arm-poky-linux-gnueabi
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc... arm-poky-linux-gnueabi-gcc  -march=armv5te -marm -mthumb-interwork -mtune=arm926ej-s --sysroot=$SDKTARGETSYSROOT
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/<home_path>/workspace/adt_test':
configure: error: in `/<home_path>/workspace/adt_test':
See `config.log' for more details

Configuration failed with error

The bold lines are ones that I see as a potential problem.  First, the system couldn't find aclocal in my extracted sysroot.  I took a look in the directory listed, and aclocal is not in there.  I think the configure script also found the build system's install and mkdir (/usr/bin/install and /usr/bin/mkdir).  I don't know if there is supposed to be one of these in the extracted sysroot or not, but I thought it was worth noting.

On a possibly related topic, I noticed that the Eclipse Indexer is using the build system's header files.  For example, if I open the main source file from the Hellow World application, place my cursor on the line "#include <stdlib.h>" and hit F3, /usr/include/stdlib.h opens up instead of stdlib.h from my toolchain.  Under the Eclipse project, for the listed Includes directories it has the following:

/usr/include
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.9.2/include
/usr/local/include

Any thoughts on how to fix these issues?

Thanks,
Bryan