[yocto] Difference b/w yocto kernels and normal linux.org kernels

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 21:45:39 PDT 2015

On March 10, 2015 12:33:14 AM EDT, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 9, 2015, at 9:21 PM, Raghavendra Kakarla
><Raghavendra.Kakarla at inedasystems.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Paul Eggleton,
>> I have some doubt that is ,there is any difference between the linux
>kernels downloaded from the yocto and that are download from the
>kernel.org with same version number?
>> Can you please clarify the my doubt.
>>

>Yocto project provides a reference kernel called linux-yocto hosted at
>https://git.yoctoproject.org/ search for "Yocto Linux Kernel”
>you will find the trees for various versions. The root of linux-yocto
>is linux-stable from kernel.org. Then there are device specific
>branches where the reference BSPs are using to build the reference
>kernel. So yes there are differences where linux-yocto might have back
>ported or forward ported patches to get a given machine working on a
>given kernel version. On top it has its own tooling to help you create
>kernel build infrastructure for new machine that you might be working
>on.
>there is extensive documentation and training on developing with
>linux-yocto as kernel. The branches eg.
>
>https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.19/refs/heads
>
>However the OE infrastructure ( which yocto project uses for its build
>system), does not bind you to use linux-yocto, infact it provides base
>classes which help you to write your own recipes for kernel you would
>like to have. So you can very well you a different kernel.
>
>> Thanks and Regards,
>> ______
I would recommend looking into the reference docs for kernel building and programming under documents in the yocto project's main website for more information on how to build or custom your kernel using recipe files.  Furthermore Raghavendra is right to my knowledge in how the yocto project is different from the mainline kernel trees,  however if you wish you can still use them.
Nick

>>> Raghavendra.