[yocto] Unexpected INITRAMFS_IMAGE behavior

Mike Borden mborden1983 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 14:23:38 PST 2015

Hello all,

I am experiencing some unexpected behavior when attempting to build a
bundled kernel and initramfs image. On it's own, my image is built just
fine and I can use it as expected. Within my local.conf file I have defined
INITRAMFS_IMAGE = my-image, and INITRAMFS_IMAGE_BUNDLE = 1. When I execute
a "bitbake my-image", the zImage files generated in my deploy directory
don't always contain the correct, most recent file system.

For example, I update some custom package that is contained in the my-image
recipe. I thought the expected behavior if I called a "bitbake my-image"
would be to compile the kernel, rebuild my rootfs, and then rebuild the
kernel with the new cpio embedded inside of it. If I look at the cpio file
that is created in deploy directory it is correct, in that it contains the
changes I made to my custom package. But sometimes I have to execute
"bitbake my-image" a couple times before the embedded initramfs reflects
what I want it to. It's like it doesn't always grab the most recent cpio
and the old one is used or something. In case it makes a difference, I've
commented out "INHERIT += "rm_work"".

Am I doing something wrong? Am I not understanding the workflow correctly?
Do I need to clean either the image or the virtual/kernel between compiles
for this to work?

Thanks,

Mike