[yocto] possible "include" flags within .scc files?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Wed Mar 4 05:23:58 PST 2015

On 2015-03-04 4:46 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    ok, i might need to switch to decaf shortly ...
>
>    wandering through linux-yocto-3.19 git repo, the meta branch,
> collecting examples of things to use in class, and ran across this:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/linux-yocto-3.19/tree/meta/cfg/kernel-cache/ktypes/standard/standard.scc?h=meta
>
> and the first few lines:
>
> # Note: if only the features are desired, but not the configuration
> #       then this should be included as:
> #             include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nocfg
> #       if no chained configuration is desired, include it as:
> #             include ktypes/standard/standard.scc nocfg inherit
>
>    i was unaware of those flags for include lines, "nocfg" and
> "inherit"; they're not mentioned anywhere in the kernel dev manual.
> but the "inherit" one doesn't seem right, anyway ... i popped over to
> kern-tools and looked at the "spp" script, and i see this:
>
>    # if we have a "nocfg" or "nopatch" on the include directive,
>    # then we need to set the variables so they'll be passed down to
>    # the nested process call
>
> so the spp script seems to indicate there are two valid include flags,
> "nocfg" and "nopatch." should these be doecumented somewhere in the
> kernel-dev manual? do they have value for yocto developers beyond
> being used for defining kernel types?

These are internal flags, only used by the folks that maintain large
piles of kernels (and kernel variants) with stacked configuration.

Consider it akin to reading the internal calls of bitbake, they just
happen to be in the .scc file directives.

They are subject to change, hence aren't in the manuals.

>    and does that standard.scc file need to be corrected to not refer to
> a flag named "inherit"?

inherit still works for some older tools variants, and is ignored by
those that don't use it .. so it is safe to stay.

Bruce