[yocto] Problems using "In-Tree" defconfig File

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Jun 19 09:19:52 PDT 2015

On 2015-06-19 03:28 AM, Andreas Fenkart wrote:
> I want to use a defconfig, that is provided by the linux git
> repository, hence this seems to fit my need:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#using-an-in-tree-defconfig-file
> KBUILD_DEFCONFIG_KMACHINE ?= defconfig_file
>
> Anybody used that feature recently? I couldn't get it to work, :-(

Works here.

> The build fails in kernel_config target, in merge_config.sh. It fails
> to merge kernel config fragments. Probably because I don't have any.
>
> [INFO] collecting configs in .meta/meta-series
> ARCH=arm O=<path>/linux-dss11e-standard-build merge_config.sh -d
> mv: cannot stat '<path>/linux-dss11e-standard-build/.tmp.config*': No
> such file or directory

This actually means something else, like a misconfigured BSP.

> Grep'ing for KBUILD_DEFCONFIG in kernel-tools only get_defconfig seems
> to use  that variable
>
> $ get_defconfig arm dss20_defconfig
> linux/arch/arm/configs/dss20_defconfig      ...so that works fine
>
> I took that snipped from check_defconfig functoin, here:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-kernel-tools/tree/tools/createme#n201
>
> but that function is not called anywhere in script createme. After all
> that script only creates the meta folder but has nothing to do with
> kernel configuration. Seems to be a dead end. Probably get_defconfig
> call should be added to configme script

In this case no. What release are you using ? And what does your kernel
recipe look like ?

do_kernel_metadata is responsible for yanking that defconfig out of the
tree and feeding it into the build just like a 'defconfig' passed via
the SRC_URI.

Bruce