[yocto] Problems using "In-Tree" defconfig File

Andreas Fenkart afenkart at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 00:28:20 PDT 2015

I want to use a defconfig, that is provided by the linux git
repository, hence this seems to fit my need:

http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/1.8/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#using-an-in-tree-defconfig-file
KBUILD_DEFCONFIG_KMACHINE ?= defconfig_file

Anybody used that feature recently? I couldn't get it to work, :-(

The build fails in kernel_config target, in merge_config.sh. It fails
to merge kernel config fragments. Probably because I don't have any.

[INFO] collecting configs in .meta/meta-series
ARCH=arm O=<path>/linux-dss11e-standard-build merge_config.sh -d
mv: cannot stat '<path>/linux-dss11e-standard-build/.tmp.config*': No
such file or directory

Grep'ing for KBUILD_DEFCONFIG in kernel-tools only get_defconfig seems
to use  that variable

$ get_defconfig arm dss20_defconfig
linux/arch/arm/configs/dss20_defconfig      ...so that works fine

I took that snipped from check_defconfig functoin, here:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-kernel-tools/tree/tools/createme#n201

but that function is not called anywhere in script createme. After all
that script only creates the meta folder but has nothing to do with
kernel configuration. Seems to be a dead end. Probably get_defconfig
call should be added to configme script

Anybody had the same problem, is there a patch. Or did I misconfigure something?

kind regards,
Andi

Here my recipe:
inherit kernel
require recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc

SRCBRANCH = "dSS"
SRCREV="82d97d74bb072fe24be10b46d0782d3735130199"
SRC_URI =
"git://git.digitalstrom.org/bsp/linux.git;protocol=https;branch=${SRCBRANCH}"

LINUX_VERSION = "4.1"
LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION = ""
KBUILD_DEFCONFIG_dss11e = "dss20_defconfig"

PR = "r1"
PV = "${LINUX_VERSION}+git${SRCPV}"

COMPATIBLE_MACHINE = "(dss11e)"