[yocto] Problem overwriting default kernel config values

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Sat Jul 18 20:53:44 PDT 2015

On 2015-07-17 9:35 PM, Ryan Soussan wrote:
> Hello,
> We're having a problem overwriting the default linux kernel config
> values.  We tried adding our own .cfg file to our layer and appending it
> to the source url of the linux-yocto bitbake file.  The variable in our
> case is not getting overwritten though (changing CONFIG_ATH5K=m to =y).
> Here's some relevant output from mismatch.txt:
> Value requested for CONFIG_ATH5K not in final .config
>        Requested value:  CONFIG_ATH5K=y
>                  Actual value:     CONFIG_ATH5K=m
>
> And basically the same error message in missing_required.cfg.  So it
> looks like yocto is seeing our request but ignoring it.  The source code
> for these messages is located here:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-kernel-tools/tree/tools/kconf_check
>
> We were following the instructions for editing the config file located
> in the linux directory of the meta-skeleton layer in poky.   Any help
> would be appreciated!

What release/branch are you using ? This is a test case that I run
ever release (and use every day), so the overrides do work.

The kernel configuration system doesn't have the opportunity to
ignore settings. They are consolidated and then passed to the kernel's
config subsystem and then the results audited.

I'll run a similar test here, since if something else later in the
configuration is selecting that driver as a module, or another constraint
is kicking in .. you will end up with a module, no matter what you
set in your fragment.

Bruce