[yocto] adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal

James Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Jan 26 08:09:21 PST 2015

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 10:52 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-26 08:26, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
>>> is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer
>>>
>>> Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
>>> put this line in your local.conf:
>>> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant”
>>>
>> Okay, what I don’t get is the fact that without any additional layers, bitbake core-image-sato builds all the WiFi features I need.  bitbake core-image-minimal does not.  So I’m
>> thinking that there is some CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL statement that can just add what is needed without extra layers.
>>
>> I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me right now.
>
> Try using
>  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " packagegroup-base-wifi"
> which will bring in 'wireless-tools' and 'wpa-supplicant'.
>
> I prefer 'iw' to 'wireless-tools' as it is newer and [IMO]
> simpler to use.

Thanks, I found that I can clean build with just the wpa-supplicant added and I’m hoping that will bring in the wifi drivers.  If it does, all I want to do is edit the /etc/interfaces file with the Static IP of the wlan0, the static IP of the eth0 and the wpa-xxx for the WKPA2_PSK information.

Do I really need the tools?  I don’t need CLI commands to change any network parameters later.

Jim A