[yocto] adding all the pieces of WiFi to core-image-minimal

James Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Jan 26 07:26:14 PST 2015

> On Jan 26, 2015, at 8:49 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>
> On 2015-01-26 06:29, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> We use just iw & wpa-supplicant and set up the configuration
>>> files manually (e.g. the wpa-supplicant configurations).
>>
>> Could you help with a little more details.  What I envision is adding an append statement of some kind to local.conf to load in the wireless related files to core-image-minimal, same with openjdk-7-jre and tomcat7, but my first efforts have generated some unintelligible error for me.  So that’s why I’m looking for direction on where to start with this.
>
> What was the error you got?  I'll bet it was for 'iw' which
> is a package from meta-oe, so you'll need to add that layer
>
> Once you've added the meta-oe layer, you should be able to
> put this line in your local.conf:
>  CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL += " iw wpa-supplicant”

Okay, what I don’t get is the fact that without any additional layers, bitbake core-image-sato builds all the WiFi features I need.  bitbake core-image-minimal does not.  So I’m thinking that there is some CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL statement that can just add what is needed without extra layers.

I guess it just doesn’t make sense to me right now.

Jim A