[yocto] [BBB] RTL8188EE not mounting

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Tue Jan 13 09:47:47 PST 2015

On 2015-01-13 10:00, Cameron B Skinner wrote:
> Let me start by apologizing if the outcome is very obvious to everyone but me. I’m VERY new to Linux and newer to Yocto.
>
> I have an RTL8188EE wifi board that I’m connecting to a Beaglebone Black via USB. If I do an ‘lsusb’ I can see that there is a Realtek device out there somewhere. Even though the
> driver for this exact device appears in the kernel drivers, the device doesn’t mount. I’m running the dizzy version and have tried building the Sato, Full Command Line and Basic
> versions hoping that one of them would include whatever it is that I need to recognize this device.
>
> For the non-Sato versions I did copy the uImage and Modules to the SD card thinking they might help.
>
> Any help would be great.

For this device to work you need both a kernel driver and
firmware.  The kernel driver is probably being built, but
the firmware is probably not installed.

Make sure your image includes the appropriate firmware for
the device.  In your case I think this would be linux-firmware-rtl8192ce

Does the appropriate driver get loaded into the kernel?  What
does 'lsmod' show?

If you still have trouble, send the output of 'lsmod' and 'dmesg'
after you plug in the device.