[yocto] Atom-pc, usb installation - NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Fri Jan 9 12:52:25 PST 2015

On 9 Jan 2015, at 09:31, Simon Bolek <simon.bolek at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The following is the case:
> 1) atom-pc with ssd 80 GB hard drive(the only one, no optical, no usb, etc.) as a target device
> 2) core-image-sato bitbaked and moved to usb device successfully
> 3) usb 'install' to atom-pc successfull (so the install script says)
> 4) after removing the usb device, pressing enter the boot says NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

I've seen this is the past with an eSata device. Changing the BIOS emulation mode for the device fixed it - I can't remember exactly what I had to do, but I think I needed to set it to "IDE" mode to get the install to work (it would then boot using either mode).

> WHY?
>
> At the same time, ISO image (generated at the same bitbake run) is working in virtual box like a charm. 'Install' was successfull and booting fine - i get GRUB menu with one 'Linux' entry as expected.
>
> On the Atom-pc this is not working. So something has to be missing. Maybe you will have a clue.
> Here are the details:
> The SSD HDD is /dev/sda  with the partition table:
> /dev/sda1 - boot
> /dev/sda2 - rootfs
> /dev/sda3 - swap
> there is no asterix at boot partition
>
> under /dev/sda1/grub there is grub.cfg with:
> menuentry "Linux" {
>    set root=(hd0,1)
>    linux /vmlinux root=/dev/sda2 rw
> }
>   - so first HDD, first/boot partition
>   - it points to /vmlinuz and /dev/sda2
> It looks fine for me.
> I already tried to dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M, and 'install' from usb again, but no luck.
> I already tried to put asterix on the boot partition, but than BOOT gets me to grub rescue>
>
> If you have any ideas, where to look for, please let me know.
>
> thank you and best regards
> simon :-)

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com

----
You can tell you're getting older when your car insurance gets real cheap!