[yocto] Building two external kernel modules that are on different recipes and have symbol dependencies

Andy Ng andreas2025 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:31:20 PST 2015

Dear List,

I am using Yocto dylan release, and I have two external kernel modules
on two different Yocto recipes. One is  exporting symbols that the
other one will use. When I load the modules to  the target with
modprobe I see the message unresolved symbols. In order to solve the
issue, I copied manually my  Module.symvers  file from devshell build
area of module A (the module that exports symbols), to devshell of
Module B (that needs access to those exported symbols)

Does Yocto have a way, based on the order I build my modules to put to
Module.symvers to the right place? Or is there any other way in Yocto
to solve those symbol dependencies for those external modules?

Best regards,
Andy