[yocto] [Custom PV for Image] Image not build correctyl - exits with an error

Kubalski, Lukasz (EXT-Espotel - PL/Wroclaw) lukasz.kubalski.ext at nokia.com
Wed Dec 9 23:14:57 PST 2015

Hi

In our project we had an idea to use more customized Image names based on PV.

The idea was to set PV to format CommitDate.hash.
I achieved that by creating class and inheriting it in our image .bb recipes.

Class content (brief):
    DESCRIPTION = "Class for automatic recipe versioning based on git commit date and hash"
    python () {
        # Override default PV value with new BuildVersion string
        bb.data.setVar('PV', getBuildVersion(), d)
    }
        *** getBuildVersion() just gets Date and Hash of commit (code is not relevant for described problem - method works ok)

Now we noticed problem in scenario like this:

1.       Build image (bitbake rfsw-image-minimal)

2.       Update meta (do anything that changes meta commit (affects our PV) - e.g. git pull)

3.       Build the same image (bitbake rfsw-image-minimal)

The problem is that bitbake does not fully notices changed (PV) Version and however uses new PV for build (new build directory)  it does not build new rootfs and exits with error about not existing files.

I'm aware of the difference from case when PV is changed statically in recipe content - as they change recipe checksum and that properly forces rootfs to be rebuilt.
But In my case when PV value is generated fully dynamically bitbake does not work as we would expect.

Is there any solution for that?
Is that expected behaviour?

Br, Lukasz