[yocto] YOCTO: Device Tree Issue - Linux Kernel Does Not Boot

Paul DeMetrotion pdemetrotion at winsystems.com
Thu Dec 3 09:58:32 PST 2015

I am brand new to Yocto and have an issue that I cannot resolve. I have searched through the existing documentation and archives without any luck.

We have a custom SBC based on the Freescale i.MX6Q processor that previously used LTIB to create a Linux BSP. I have been tasked with converting to Yocto and have used the existing Freescale Sabre-SD as my model. I created a conf file for our device and located it in build-c398/sources/meta-fsl-arm-extra/conf/machine. Its contents are:

#@TYPE: Machine
#@NAME: i.MX6Q SBC35-C398
#@SOC: i.MX6Q
#@MAINTAINER: Paul DeMetrotion <pdemetrotion at winsystems.com>
require conf/machine/include/imx-base.inc
require conf/machine/include/tune-cortexa9.inc
SOC_FAMILY = "mx6:mx6q"
KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "imx6q-c398.dtb"
UBOOT_CONFIG ??= "sd"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sd] = "mx6qc398_config,sdcard"
UBOOT_CONFIG[sata] = "mx6qc398_sata_config"
UBOOT_CONFIG[mfgtool] = "mx6qc398_config"
SERIAL_CONSOLE = "115200 ttymxc0"

I have successfully built and booted u-boot and am now attempting to boot a core-image-base version of the Linux kernel. The system locks up after displaying 'Starting kernel ...'. I have tracked the problem to the function early_init_dt_scan(dt). The address being passed in the dt variable does not point to my device tree but instead points to a location that includes u-boot parameters. When the code checks for the 0xD00DFEED signature, the code fails and proceeds to the dump_machine_table infinite loop.

I created a device tree for our SBC and placed it in arch/arm/boot/dts. It appears to build properly and has the proper DTB signature in the first dword. The image copied to the SD card includes the DTB file in the same partition as the uImage.

Any idea why my code does not point to my DTB data? Am I missing something in my recipe or configuration files?

I hope I have explained my problem adequately. Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul DeMetrotion
Software Guru
WinSystems, Inc.
(972) 571-8657