[yocto] How to recreate rootfs image

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Aug 28 03:06:50 PDT 2015

Hi Viktor,

On Thursday 27 August 2015 08:25:38 Lenivyy Viktor wrote:
> > In your kernel recipe are you using SRC_URI to fetch from a git
> > repository (e.g. git:// URI) or from a local directory?
>
> This kernel is fetched from local directory.
>
> > I guess that if you're using a local path, there can be either some
> > uncommitted changes, or a stale git index.
>
> No, because kernel built from sources in local directory doesn’t have
> “-dirty” in version string.
> > You can try just for the experiment to add your current kernel sources
> > to a test git repo and point the SRC_URI to it, so bitbake can clone
> > the repo by git revision (SRCREV = "${AUTOREV}" will skip the need to
> > update the recipe revision constantly during development). This should
> > work fine, without the "-dirty" version suffix.
>
> I can try this, but it doesn't answer main question:
> how can I recreate rootfs image starting from the point after fetching Linux
> sources, so Yocto’s copy will remain intact?

Well one way would be:

 bitbake -C compile virtual/kernel <imagename>

(note the capital -C, not -c).

In the near future "devtool modify" should support the kind of workflow that it
looks like you're attempting to get (where you want to modify the kernel
sources locally and then build them and/or incorporate them in an image) - it
already works well for non-kernel recipes.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton