[yocto] No '/lib/modules' directory in image, modprobe fails

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 18:36:28 PDT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 5:53 PM, Todd Efflam <todd.efflam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> We're trying to load and unload modules using modprobe but are having problems.  The command fails with "modprobe: can't change directory to '/lib/modules': no such file or directory".  There is actually no /lib/modules directory on the image at all.  We tried to install the linux-libc-headers package but it failed and I think the reason is we are using the 3.14 kernel and the package is 3.19.  Any help would be appreciated!

linux-libc-headers is kernel APIs for userland. The modules are generated as individual packages during kernel build. You can choose which modules you want to package
default it none. if you want all default modules to be included in image you can add

MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS = " kernel-modules”

to you machine.conf

Otherwise if you know which ones your system needs then you can add it to IMAGE_INSTALL individually.

IMAGE_INSTALL += "kernel-module-<name-of-module>”