[yocto] Making a derivative BSP layer - where did I go wrong?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 12:12:07 PDT 2015

> On Aug 4, 2015, at 7:47 AM, Adam Rossi <ac.rossi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Howdy folks. I am having trouble making a derivative BSP layer and am
> asking for your help in determining what I am doing wrong.
>
> I am developing a Yocto distro for a beaglebone-based prototype.  I
> made a few small changes directly to the meta-yocto-bsp layer and
> bitbaked the core-image-sato image, and everything worked great. The
> tweaks I made included:
>
> * Edited meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/beaglebone.conf to include
> additional machine features:
>
>     * MACHINE_FEATURES = "usbgadget usbhost vfat alsa touchscreen"
>
> * Edited meta-yocto-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.14.bbappend
> to include a cfg file with the following entries:
>
>      * CONFIG_HID_MULTITOUCH=y
>        CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=600
>        CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1024

you could do this in another bbappend in your own layer.

> While this works perfectly, it does not feel like a clean solution to
> be mucking with the meta-yocto-bsp layer directly. So I created my own
> meta-custom BSP layer using the yocto-bsp script to hold these
> changes. My bsp-layer has  the following attributes:
>
> *  meta-custom/conf/machine/custom.conf contains the following:
>
>       * require /home/me/poky/meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine/beaglebone.conf
>
>          MACHINEOVERRIDES = “beaglebone:custom"

may be you should append to it instead of overwriting

MACHINEOVERRIDES =. “beaglebone:”

>          MACHINE_FEATURES = "usbgadget usbhost vfat alsa touchscreen"
>
> *  meta-custom/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.14.bbappend contains
> a single line    SRC_URI += to the cfg file mentioned above
>
> When I bitbake the new layer with the new custom machine and the same
> image target, I get file outputs which look very similar to the edited
> meta-yocto-bsp, with the exception of the zImage, which is much
> smaller and will not boot.

linux-yocto has its own list of compatible machines. see
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-yocto/tree/meta-yocto-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto_3.14.bbappend

you might need to add

KBRANCH_custom = "standard/beaglebone"
SRCREV_machine_custom ?= “dbe5b52e93ff114b2c0f5da6f6af91f52c18f2b8"
COMPATIBLE_MACHINE_custom = “custom"