[yocto] Migration from 1.7.1 to 1.8 - kernel-abiversion missing

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Apr 30 05:18:42 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-30 3:14 AM, Schaumlöffel, Jan wrote:
>> That is really odd. I'll be interested to hear how that happened. I just did a
>> test and it points to where I expect:
>>
>>    [/home/bruc...poky/build]> bitbake -e core-image-minimal | grep
>> STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR # $STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR
>> STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR="/home/bruce/poky/build/tmp/work-
>> shared/qemux86-64/kernel-build-artifacts"
>>

> So I experimented a bit more and found a minimal set of steps to reproduce the problem. Maybe that might give someone a clue as to what is happening and/or how to resolve it.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> - clone Poky repository, checkout branch 'fido'
> - go to meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine and copy beaglebone.conf to another file (I used astro.conf)
> - from poky repository do source oe-init-build-env into new build directory
> - edit conf/local.conf to set MACHINE ?= "astro" (use filename from second step) and DL_DIR (if present)
> - run bitbake core-image-minimal
>
> -> kernel-abiversion is missing, build fails
>
> - edit conf/local.conf, set MACHINE ?= "beaglebone"
> - run bitbake core-image-minimal
>
> -> image builds fine
>
> It stays the same if the copied config is in a custom BSP layer, some minor modifications are made, etc., but to eliminate complexity I just put that into the meta-yocto-bsp layer. What strikes me as really odd is that now the only thing changed between working and non-working configuration seems to be the filename of the machine configuration - what am I missing?

What kernel recipe is used when your machine is set to 'astro' ?
Something custom ? Or have you added machine compatibility to
another known kernel recipe ?

The big difference that I see would be the kernel recipe, and
some of the tasks not executing (and hence not generating the
abiversion file).

Bruce