[yocto] Migration from 1.7.1 to 1.8 - kernel-abiversion missing

Schaumlöffel, Jan J.Schaumloeffel at astro-kom.de
Thu Apr 30 00:14:29 PDT 2015

> That is really odd. I'll be interested to hear how that happened. I just did a
> test and it points to where I expect:
>
>   [/home/bruc...poky/build]> bitbake -e core-image-minimal | grep
> STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR # $STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR
> STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR="/home/bruce/poky/build/tmp/work-
> shared/qemux86-64/kernel-build-artifacts"

So I experimented a bit more and found a minimal set of steps to reproduce the problem. Maybe that might give someone a clue as to what is happening and/or how to resolve it.

Steps to reproduce:

- clone Poky repository, checkout branch 'fido'
- go to meta-yocto-bsp/conf/machine and copy beaglebone.conf to another file (I used astro.conf)
- from poky repository do source oe-init-build-env into new build directory
- edit conf/local.conf to set MACHINE ?= "astro" (use filename from second step) and DL_DIR (if present)
- run bitbake core-image-minimal

-> kernel-abiversion is missing, build fails

- edit conf/local.conf, set MACHINE ?= "beaglebone"
- run bitbake core-image-minimal

-> image builds fine

It stays the same if the copied config is in a custom BSP layer, some minor modifications are made, etc., but to eliminate complexity I just put that into the meta-yocto-bsp layer. What strikes me as really odd is that now the only thing changed between working and non-working configuration seems to be the filename of the machine configuration - what am I missing?

How do I create a working machine configuration for Poky 1.8? (In 1.7.1 I just took some machine configuration from eldk, fiddled around with it a bit, put it into my BSP layer and never had any trouble with that.)

Regards,
Jan