[yocto] Migration from 1.7.1 to 1.8 - kernel-abiversion missing

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Apr 28 11:58:02 PDT 2015

On 2015-04-28 11:36 AM, Schaumlöffel, Jan wrote:
>> Hmmm. It shouldn't have gone missing. Bits of the kernel build outputs
>> did move around in 1.8, but the abiversion is still generated and
>> placed in the STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR.
>
> I was just wondering, is there an easy way to resolve these Paths from the ommand line? I do not have a lot of experience with bitbake, so I have no good guess where STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR should be located.

I always just run bitbake -e <your target>, and then either grep or
capture the output. The value and places the variable are set will be
in the bulk data export. Others may have fancier ways to do the
same thing.

> Also, I don't quite get why the kernel abiversion and kernel modules are needed at all, because I build the kernel externally with no modules at all. Although in the future it might be nice to integrate building the kernel into the bitbake process, at the moment I would be equally happy to just leave off everything that has to do with the kernel.

Have you tried setting linux-dummy as the preferred provider for the
kernel ? That would skip the build processing doing anything more than
satisfying the various kernel dependencies.

>> After your build has failed, if you look in STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR do
>> you see the abiversion file ?
>
> There are three instances of the file:
>
> ~/yocto-build-fido$ find . -name kernel-abiversion
> ./tmp/work/beaglebone-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-yocto/3.14.36+gitAUTOINC+162dfe3bb0_dbe5b52e93-r0/pkgdata/kernel-depmod/kernel-abiversion
> ./tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/pkgdata/kernel-depmod/kernel-abiversion
> ./tmp/work-shared/beaglebone/kernel-build-artifacts/kernel-abiversion

Those are where I'd expect them for 1.8, so they should be found and
used by the various parts of the build process. Something different
is happening in your build .. hmm.

Bruce