[yocto] Migration from 1.7.1 to 1.8 - kernel-abiversion missing

Schaumlöffel, Jan J.Schaumloeffel at astro-kom.de
Tue Apr 28 08:36:14 PDT 2015

> Hmmm. It shouldn't have gone missing. Bits of the kernel build outputs
> did move around in 1.8, but the abiversion is still generated and
> placed in the STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR.

I was just wondering, is there an easy way to resolve these Paths from the command line? I do not have a lot of experience with bitbake, so I have no good guess where STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR should be located.

Also, I don't quite get why the kernel abiversion and kernel modules are needed at all, because I build the kernel externally with no modules at all. Although in the future it might be nice to integrate building the kernel into the bitbake process, at the moment I would be equally happy to just leave off everything that has to do with the kernel.

> After your build has failed, if you look in STAGING_KERNEL_BUILDDIR do
> you see the abiversion file ?

There are three instances of the file:

~/yocto-build-fido$ find . -name kernel-abiversion
./tmp/work/beaglebone-poky-linux-gnueabi/linux-yocto/3.14.36+gitAUTOINC+162dfe3bb0_dbe5b52e93-r0/pkgdata/kernel-depmod/kernel-abiversion
./tmp/sysroots/beaglebone/pkgdata/kernel-depmod/kernel-abiversion
./tmp/work-shared/beaglebone/kernel-build-artifacts/kernel-abiversion

Jan