[yocto] Package reduction(package minimisation) for minimal rootfs

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:10:26 PDT 2015

On 15-04-10 03:04 AM, Dilip Basavaraju wrote:
>                 I have task to minimize the root file system, by
> removing busy box and adding additional packages in place of busybox
> like core-utils, binutils, tiny-login etc.

The following quotes are taken from http://busybox.net/about.html:

    "BusyBox combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a
    single small executable. It provides replacements for most of the
    utilities you usually find in GNU fileutils, shellutils, etc."

    "BusyBox has been written with size-optimization and limited
    resources in mind."

In general, if you are trying to make a small system you would remote
things like core-utils and replace them with busybox, not the other way
around.

Maybe having a look at poky-tiny might help?