[yocto] bblayer priorities ignored for bbappends?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 8 01:55:33 PDT 2015

Hi Tobias,

On Wednesday 08 April 2015 08:54:20 Tobias Olausson wrote:
> I just had a weird experience with yocto and I wanted to know if the
> described behaviour is intentional.
>
> I have a layer with priority 7 containing a recipe, foo.bb. In another
> layer, with priority 8, there is a foo.bbappend. Finally, I just added
> another layer, with priority 9, where foo.bb is redefined as a binary
> recipe.
>
> When I added the last layer, I expected that to take precedence over the
> other two. However, the bbappend for foo is still applied (which in this
> case changed the SRC_URI, making the whole binary recipe moot). Is this
> really the way it's supposed to be? I would expect that lower layers cannot
> influence layers with higher priority at all, but that does not seem to be
> the case.

That is the case, yes - bbappends are always applied. As far as I am aware
this is the first time this kind of situation has been asked about though so
it's probably just that we didn't consider it before.

Presumably you could use a bbappend rather than a recipe in the last layer?
You might need to stub out some of the functions of course, but it should be
possible.

Cheers,
Paul

--