[yocto] Kernel Panic: /sbin/init not found

Smith, Virgil Virgil.Smith at flir.com
Mon Apr 6 10:12:59 PDT 2015

> This is not true in the general case. You definitely can use
> IMAGE_INSTALL_append with a leading space to add items to an image, I just
> verified that now.
>
> I'm not clear on exactly what happened in the case we're discussing, at least
> initially it sounded like IMAGE_INSTALL = rather than IMAGE_INSTALL_append =
> was being used, which would definitely account for the behaviour described.

Digging.... testing.... reading....
I don't know what happened in Chan Kit's case, but it looks like my earlier trouble was using IMAGE_INSTALL +=  from inside local.conf.  IMAGE_INSTALL_append isn't applied until after parsing completes.  So here is one (or rather the) way to overcome the fact that local.conf is *parsed* too early for extending variables/configuration introduced later in the *parsing* chain.

So, my earlier statement that you can't use/rely on IMAGE_INSTALL_append from local.conf is flat wrong.

> The precedence of bb files and order of application of bbappends is controlled
> primarily by layer priorities; the order that layers appear in bblayers.conf
> shouldn't come into that (although it may if you have layers that have exactly
> the same priority set). The order of layers in bblayers.conf can influence the
> order in which bbclass and inc files are found *where files of the same name
> exist across different layers*, since these are found using BBPATH, which is
> prepended or appended to by each layer.conf file and thus the order in which
> those files are parsed is significant.

Thanks Paul, I wasn't sure I had the whole story.

Notice to recipient: This email is meant for only the intended recipient of the transmission, and may be a communication privileged by law, subject to export control restrictions or that otherwise contains proprietary information. If you receive this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and then destroy it and do not review, disclose, copy or distribute it. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.