[yocto] "fatal: A branch named 'meta-orig' already exists."

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 2 03:16:33 PDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

... again, snip ...

> I completely agree .. better to sort this out sooner rather than
> later, I'm just trying to narrow down on a configuration that allows
> me to see the problem and poke at the smouldering pile. If git is
> doing something different now, it won't be hard to fix, but hands
> on, versus code inspection, is the real trick here.

  ok, now i'm confused about where i'm getting my kernel source from.
with a fresh build for qemux86 and deliberately not using any of my
local mirror content, i did:

  $ bitbake -c fetchall linux-yocto

assuming the fetch would take a while due to, you know, git checkout.

  the first puzzler is that my downloads directory very quickly
contained (among other things):

-rw-rw-r--. 1 rpjday rpjday 81688872 Feb  8 22:20 linux-3.19.tar.xz

should i have expected that? why do i suddenly have what looks like a
stock linux-3.19 tarball when git should be used for this?

  and here's the salient bit from the fetch log file, clearly showing
a sizable tarball being downloaded from downloads.yoctoproject.org:

///// START /////
DEBUG: For url
git://git.yoctoproject.org/linux-yocto-3.19.git;bareclone=1;branch=standard/common-pc,meta;name=machine,meta
returning
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/git2_git.yoctoproject.org.linux-yocto-3.19.git.tar.gz
... cut ...
DEBUG: Fetching
http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/git2_git.yoctoproject.org.linux-yocto-3.19.git.tar.gz
using command '/usr/bin/env wget -t 2 -T 30 -nv --passive-ftp
--no-check-certificate -P /home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/downloads
'http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/git2_git.yoctoproject.org.linux-yocto-3.19.git.tar.gz''
DEBUG: Fetcher accessed the network with the command /usr/bin/env wget
-t 2 -T 30 -nv --passive-ftp --no-check-certificate -P
/home/rpjday/oe/builds/qemux86/downloads
'http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/git2_git.yoctoproject.org.linux-yocto-3.19.git.tar.gz'
/// END ///

  that tarball is 927M as you can see here:

http://downloads.yoctoproject.org/mirror/sources/

dated mar 24, so that's fairly new and makes me wonder if there's
something weird/broken about it. waiting for wget to finish ... ok,
done. now try to cuild:

  $ bitbake linux-yocto

hmmmmmmm ... and it's already blown by the validate_branches task, so
suddenly, no problem. weird.

  it is entirely possible that, because i was using a local mirror
loaded with tarballs, an earlier kernel tarball was being picked up
and wasn't compatible with later content. after dropping any reference
to my local mirror, validate_branches appears to work.

  still curious as to the presence of the linux-3.19 xz tarball in my
downloads directory.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca