[yocto] python3.3 module encodings not found

Mikhail Zakharov mikhail.zakharov at cognitivesystems.com
Wed Sep 10 07:20:23 PDT 2014

On 14-09-10 09:39 AM, yocto-request at yoctoproject.org wrote:
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:22:12 +0200
> From: Soda <sodovkar at gmail.com>
> To: yocto at yoctoproject.org
> Subject: [yocto] python3.3 module encodings not found
>
> Hello developers,
>
> I have recently switch to the poky-1.6.1, mainly because of python3.
> First of all I must say that I see significant improvements in the new
> yocto 1.6.1 (compare to the 1.5.1), so thanks to all contributors!
>
> The python3 package is successfully compiled and installed on my target
> board (Atmel A5),
> the problem I'm getting is the python3 cannot find the 'encodings'
> module, maybe because
> there is none in the /usr/lib/python3.3/  copying one from python2 did
> not work - obviously.
>
> This is the actual error I get:
>
>   # python3
>   Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
>   ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
>   Aborted
>
> More detailed error:
>
>   # python3 -v
>   import _frozen_importlib # frozen
>   import imp # builtin
>   import sys # builtin
>   # installing zipimport hook
>   import 'zipimport' # <class '_frozen_importlib.BuiltinImporter'>
>   # installed zipimport hook
>   Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1565, in _find_and_load
>     File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1529, in
> _find_and_load_unlocked
>   ImportError: No module named 'encodings'
>   Aborted
>

> Looking forward for any hints or solutions.
>
> Mark

Ensure you have added python3-modules and python3-misc. Take a look at
the following post:
http://lists.openembedded.org/pipermail/openembedded-core/2013-May/078568.html

Also, please be aware of some bugs that have been fixed since daisy
1.6.1 that might affect you with python3:

Our environemnt required this one:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/commit/?id=0ed5a13f5f9478e2c22f517fb3504b738422f85c

master:
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/log/?qt=grep&q=python3&h=master