[yocto] How does RRECOMMENDS work?

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Mon Sep 8 00:55:15 PDT 2014

I've got a recipe to which I've added:

RRECOMMENDS_${PN} = "<package>"

The documentation says that "If, during the build, a package from the RRECOMMENDS list cannot be found, the build process continues without an error".

I tried a build without <package> (i.e. no recipe) and it failed with "Nothing provides <package>". Is this the expected behaviour? If so, is there a way I can pull in a package if it is build-able and skip it otherwise?

In this case <package> contains some utilities which can be of help, but they're not required in any way at runtime.

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com