[yocto] Kernel features

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Sun Sep 7 07:17:04 PDT 2014

On 2014-09-07, 4:51 AM, Ilya Dmitrichenko wrote:
> Today I have spent quite a while trying to figure how KERNEL_FEATURES
> works and why some of the things I pass in my configuration fragment
> are not getting enabled.
>
> It turned out that some of the options no longer existed and some had
> been renamed.

Do you have an example ? We try and not rename or remove public facing
configuration fragments, and hide the changing CONFIG_* values behind
the fragment names.

> The question is really why would this not get detected by
> kernel_configcheck or any other step?
>
> I'm guessing this might be the case of how kconfig works, perhaps...
> So I wonder whether anyone have looked into how we could actually get
> the feature dependency graph from kconfig to bitbake or at least some
> sort of helper tool? Perhaps parsing kconfig manifests in Python would
> be a starting point...

There have been many efforts are changing, writing and processing
Kconfig constructs in other languages .. they all end up being
pretty much a re-implementation of Kconfig, and hence a big effort
that needs to be continuously maintained over time .. also a big
effort.

But maybe I'm not quite understanding your question, if you can
send along an example, that might help.

Cheers,

Bruce