[yocto] [meta-qt5] How to bisect problem?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 09:56:12 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 05:39:28PM +0200, Neuer User wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was using qt5 5.3.0-beta1 for a long time. Now I upgraded to 5.3.2,
> which is the current master.
>
> Now I am experiencing some video problems. I reverted back to my old
> 5.3.0-beta 1 and the problems are gone. So, it seems one (or more)
> commits between 5.3.0-beta1 and 5.3.2 are the cause of the faulty video.
>
> How can I bisect this best to find the culprit? It doesn't seem to make
> sense to just use git-bisect as not all versions will compile fine. Are
> there specific points, such as 5.3.0, 5.3.1 that I should test? Or does
> it make more sense to use some 5.4.0 beta version?

qt5 isn't special from this perspective (well maybe except that it takes
damn long to build it all, so it's always useful to narrow the
problematic module asap and then rebuild only that one as long as
dependencies on other modules allow), I would start by using 5.3.0
and 5.3.1 (because you'll easily find meta-qt5 revisions which will give
you compatible set of qt5 tarballs).

If you plan to upgrade your images to 5.4.* soon(ish), than testing
5.4-alpha (or 5.4-beta from jansa/master branch) is also very useful,
but I would expect more rough road then just bisecting 5.3.* releases.

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com