[yocto] gitsm recursive submodules

Cliff Brake cliff.brake at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 13:44:40 PDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Chris Morgan <chmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I posted some time ago about git with submodules and was pointed to
> gitsm. I've been using gitsm for sometime but ran into another issue.
>
> It looks like gitsm is not performing a recursive submodule update. I
> have a repository that is comprised of submodules, one of those
> submodules has a couple of other submodules. Should gitsm be handling
> this today?
>
> Starting from a clean build directory I can bitbake until the recipe
> fails, then go into the working directory and do a 'git submodule
> update --init' I can get the recipe to finish building.

It seems the gitsm fetcher should be modified to do a recursive update:

http://cgit.openembedded.org/bitbake/tree/lib/bb/fetch2/gitsm.py

replace:

        runfetchcmd(ud.basecmd + " submodule init", d)
        runfetchcmd(ud.basecmd + " submodule update", d)

with

        runfetchcmd(ud.basecmd + " submodule update --init --recursive", d)

Alternatively, you might be able to add a task in your recipe to do
the submodule stuff.

Cliff