[yocto] Creating new u-boot board

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Thu Oct 16 11:11:31 PDT 2014

Matt S.
Sent from my pocket

On Oct 15, 2014, at 8:48 PM, Christian Ege <k4230r6 at gmail.com<mailto:k4230r6 at gmail.com>> wrote:

Am 16.10.2014 02:40 schrieb "Matt Schuckmann" <Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com<mailto:Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com>>:

> I'm pretty confused about what is the best way to go on this.
> I realize that there are several paths that I could take but I really don't know which is the best way to go.
>
> We are creating a new board largely based off the beaglebone design but customized to our needs.
> I'm basing my software work off the TI SDK 7.0 (yes I know that is almost a year but it is the TI blessed version)
>
> I feel like I need to create a new u-boot board configuration which I have done in my own sandbox.
>
> Now I don't know if I should be creating a patch for my changes and adding them to a bbappends for the ti u-boot recipe or if I should create a new clone of ti's u-boot repo to check my changes into and create a new recipe that references my repo? Or is there another option that I should be exploring.

If you only made a few changes like config the easiest way may be just to patch inside a bbappend.

If there are changes in the u-boot itself it may worth to run an own u-boot git and sync it with denx or TI.

It's basically creating a new board configure section so it should boil down to 5 or six new files and one edit to boards.cfg.

You can overwrite the SRC_URI in the bbappend as-well.

So I tried this and it didn't seem to work. I would also have to override the SRCREV, maybe it was that that didn't work. I can try again.

I am a bbappend fan boy so I would prefer this over an new recipe.

But it may worth to look at the various layers like freescale and TI how they solved this.

It doesn't look like TI uses bbappends here, I'll have to look at Freescale.

> Which path is preferred?
There is no silver bullet.
> What are the short/long term pro's and con's of each approach?

Regards,
Christian

Thanks for the input Christian
Matt S.