[yocto] Creating new u-boot board

Matt Schuckmann Matt.Schuckmann at planar.com
Wed Oct 15 17:21:54 PDT 2014

I'm pretty confused about what is the best way to go on this.
I realize that there are several paths that I could take but I really don't know which is the best way to go.

We are creating a new board largely based off the beaglebone design but customized to our needs.
I'm basing my software work off the TI SDK 7.0 (yes I know that is almost a year but it is the TI blessed version)

I feel like I need to create a new u-boot board configuration which I have done in my own sandbox.

Now I don't know if I should be creating a patch for my changes and adding them to a bbappends for the ti u-boot recipe or if I should create a new clone of ti's u-boot repo to check my changes into and create a new recipe that references my repo? Or is there another option that I should be exploring.

Which path is preferred?
What are the short/long term pro's and con's of each approach?

Matt S.