[yocto] Recommended Hardware for building

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Thu Oct 2 03:04:43 PDT 2014

On 2 October 2014 10:36, Oliver Novakovic <Oliver.Novakovic at alpine.de> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a reasonable performant hardware setup to use ?
>
> What should be considered ? Are there any pitfalls ? What about bottlenecks
> in the build system ?
>
> Specifically:
>
> How many cores are recommended ? And how much cache is necessary ?
> How much of the main memory does Yocto really use ? Is 32 GB sufficient or
> should I go for 64 ?
>
> Does it make sense to use two SSDs as Raid0  to get builds faster ?

As much of everything as you can afford.  :)  The build isn't heavy in
any particular metric, so don't sacrifice RAM for SSDs for example.

RAID 0 over SSD would be nice and fast, but I prefer having a good
amount of RAM and a tuned ext4 (no journal, long commit delay) so data
doesn't actually hit the disk as frequently. Keeping the actual build
directories on a separate disk is good for performance and not causing
data loss when you lose a disk.

There are people that have 64GB in machines and then set TMPDIR to a
tmpfs.  Surprisingly this isn't that much faster (5% or so), but it's
a lot easier on the hardware and power consumption.

Ross