[yocto] Recommended Hardware for building

Oliver Novakovic Oliver.Novakovic at alpine.de
Thu Oct 2 02:36:31 PDT 2014

Dear all,

since we are using Yocto in our projects, I'd like to set up a dedicated
Build PC or server for the Yocto build tasks (including Jenkins).

Can anyone recommend a reasonable performant hardware setup to use ?

What should be considered ? Are there any pitfalls ? What about
bottlenecks in the build system ?

Specifically:

How many cores are recommended ? And how much cache is necessary ?
How much of the main memory does Yocto really use ? Is 32 GB sufficient
or should I go for 64 ?

Does it make sense to use two SSDs as Raid0  to get builds faster ?

Any hints, recommendations or links to further reading will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

Alpine Electronics R&D Europe GmbH, Vor dem Lauch 14, 70567 Stuttgart,
Registergericht Stuttgart, HRB 25265
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Toshinori Kobayashi, Shuji Taguchi
Working office: Vor dem Lauch 14, 70567 Stuttgart

ATTENTION: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be privileged
and/or confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom this  e-mail is addressed. If you are not one of the
named recipients or otherwise  have reason to believe that you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify  the sender and delete this
message immediately from your computer. We thank you for your cooperation.