[yocto] Busybox sh link

ChenQi Qi.Chen at windriver.com
Tue Nov 18 22:00:46 PST 2014

On 11/19/2014 12:34 AM, Stefan Eichenberger wrote:
> On 11/18/2014 04:07 AM, ChenQi wrote:
>> On 11/17/2014 10:07 PM, Stefan Eichenberger wrote:
>>> Hello all
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding busybox and sh. If I want to install
>>> bash together with busybox ash, yocto does not consider the
>>> ALTERNATIVE_PRIORITY in each case (e.g. if bash is installed before
>>> busybox). The problem is that do_install of busybox creates a link
>>> to busybox.nosuid. Is there a reason for that? Shouldn't
>>> update-alternatives create that link for us? There is already a
>>> patch available that targets this problem
>>> (467b19efbaa9c0cb04d2665e8cd9a0919849a5ed ) but it only works if ash
>>> is completely disabled in the busybox config.
>>>
>>> So the main question is, wouldn't it be possible to remove this
>>> lines completely?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Stefan
>>>

>> I can confirm that this is indeed a problem. And we need to fix this.
>> I think the reason for this line is mainly to make 'busybox' provide
>> '/bin/sh' so that do_rootfs would succeed.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Chen Qi
>
> Probably I miss something but I don't understand why do_rootfs fails
> if the link is not provided? Isn't the link created anyhow during
> package installation in the postinstall script with
> update-alternatives if necessary?
>
> For testing I removed the link creation temporary from the recipe and
> built the core-image-minimal for qemux86, it was creating the link
> correctly in this case.
>
> Regards,
> Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I did some testing, and could not reproduce the problem.
I then realized that as the sh link is managed by ALTERNATIVES
mechanism, it will always point to bash instead of busybox.

I tested it by the following steps:
1. build core-image-minimal with bash installed
2. reinstall bash
3. reinstall busybox

So I think the current code is right.

I'm not sure if I missed something. If so, could you please provide more
information?

Best Regards,
Chen Qi