[yocto] replace udhcpc

Burton, Ross ross.burton at intel.com
Fri May 9 11:37:41 PDT 2014

On 9 May 2014 17:57, Neuer User <auslands-kv at gmx.de> wrote:
> Seems, I am not the only one wondering why connman phones home:

The "ask the author" approach works quite well.  The hostname it's
looking up is connman.net.  This is the captive portal detection:
pretty much every major platform does something similar and it's to
detect the situation that you have something that looks like a network
connection, but actually you're not routed anywhere (i.e. you're in a
hotel and need to pay for connectivity).  ConnMan makes a trivial
request to it's home page and if it gets back the response it was
expecting you have internet, captive portals tend to include
machine-readable links in the response that ConnMan will tell the UI
to open.  If you've ever joined an iOS (and probably Android, but I've
not got one) device to a hotel's wifi and seen a login page open
immediately the same you've seen this behaviour in action.

The response also includes some basic geo-ip so your machine knows
roughly where it is, useful for automatic timezone updating.

Ross