[yocto] Does Yocto need some "LTS" releases?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu May 8 13:11:56 PDT 2014

On 5/8/14, 2:54 PM, Chris Tapp wrote:
> I've had a few potential clients ask how security updates and general patches
> are applied to embedded products built using Yocto.

The Yocto Project, via it's contributors usually provides support for the -two-
releases + master.

That means effectively a one year community (best-effort) support model for each
release.  So today that would be 1.5 and 1.6.  (Master is continuously
developed, and I'd expect any relevant fixes to go there as well.)

Note, this is all contingent upon contributions from Yocto Project members and
the Open Embedded community at large.  Without contributions, there is no support.

> If they're really embedded, then the only way to to this is by replacing the
> rootfs - especially when they boot read-only.

See the million threads on "field upgrade".  There is no one answer.  Device
upgrade, Image upgrade, package upgrade, and file upgrades are all
possibilities... but these need to be built into the device during it's design.
  There are no best practices available, as everyone seems to have different
requirements.

> A second complication is when support for a BSP gets dropped so later
> versions, which generally include updates and patches, can't be used.

If you are releasing a product, you shouldn't be expecting to migrate (in a
product lifecycle) from YP 1.4 to YP 1.5 to YP 1.6, etc.  Each release is
individual, and an overall target based upgrade and BSP obsolescence is not part
of the project.  This is really the realm of the device manufacturer, OSV and
other commercial vendors of YP components.

> It feels to me as if there should be some "LTS" releases which developers
> could focus on when choosing a version.

It all comes down to contributions in the end.  If nobody is contributing, don't
expect updates.  There has been talk over time of an LTS type release.  I've
heard everything from extending the 1 year to '2' years.. or as contributions
are available.

But if you want long term support, your best bet is to find an OSV (or other
Yocto Project participant) that is willing to do long term support and
maintenance of a product.

(Speaking for Wind River for a second, we do offer extended support for many
many more years then what I would ever expect the community to support.  I would
expect the same from our competitors.)

> Or is there already some way of doing this that I just haven't spotted?

This is where community support really transitions to commercial.  The community
is interested in enabling new designs and 'maker' projects.  Commercial is
interested in building products and long term support.  (IMHO, others might
disagree.)

--Mark