[yocto] Anybody managed to get Beagleboard xM to work?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue May 6 20:19:59 PDT 2014

On 2014-05-06, 6:10 PM, Jeremy Cole-Baker wrote:
> On 7/05/2014 2:01 a.m., Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>
>>> Anything else I am missing? Some configuration I need to set up? I have
>>> no idea where to look! It is frustrating because it seems to be very
>>> close to working.
>>
>> As an alternative to using the Yocto reference BSP (Which I mentioned
>> has moved onto the BBB with a better focus on core functionality), the
>> meta-beagleboard layer has a more complete feature focus and should
>> solve the problem (via a different kernel and configuration).
>>

> Hi, can you explain how to use the meta-beagleboard layer? My build was
> done using the BSP for "Texas Instruments ARM Cortex-A8 development
> board (Beagleboard)" (10.0.0 Dora). I downloaded it, and I think I built
> it with Hob the first time. I also used 'bitbake' to adjust the
> configuration and build from the command line to try different options.
>
> I just downloaded the latest Yocto project 1.6 (11.0.0 Daisy), and had a
> look around including running Hob. However, I couldn't find a
> meta-beagleboard layer.

If I recall correctly, its this:

    https://github.com/beagleboard/meta-beagleboard

The Yocto reference BSPs themselves are about exercising core
functionality on easily available h/w references (one per major arch).

Those reference BSPs are on the Yocto release kernel (which is now
typically LTSI kernel), and hence have all the Yocto kernel features
(union filesystems, optional preempt-rt support, CVEs, -stable updates,
etc) and configuration meta-data (base policy + configuration fragemnt
support).

We try and make them as functional as possible, but sticking with the
stable and longer term kernels means that development which happens
on the latest mainline, or different community trees is only merged to
the Yocto kernel if we get explicit support and patches ported. That
means that some bleeding edge, or advanced functionality is available
in those feature-full and community supported trees.

The layer I pointed at above, has that mix of extended/enhanced
functionality.

We refreshed the the ARM reference to the beaglebone black in the latest
Yocto release, and thanks to TIs (via DenysD) support .. we have a
mainline supported, and very functional refernece.

That being said, working USB is core functionality and it was tested
green for the 1.5 release .. at least if my memory serves. So it
should be working in your build.

Bruce