[yocto] Fw: regarding adding custom kernel to yocto build system

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 21:10:41 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM, mujtaba rizwan <mmrizwan45 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> my previous problem is resolved its picking my kernel from local system.i
> didn't get any reply from yocto group i'm expecting some help please help me
> out.
>
> I've compiled the msm working kernel with make then i took the zimage along
> with ramdisk and created boot.img  and flashed it to the boot partition of
> android kernel is booting fine rest of the partitions are working and
> untouched only i'm changing the boot.img.
>
> The same kernel i took and built it from yocto build system by providing
> proper defconfig file, kernel is compiled successfully got the zimage used
> it along with the working ramdisk stripped from working boot.img file and
> created the boot.img and flashed to the boot partition, i'm facing a few
> problem in booting. I've attached the boot logs and defconfig.please help me
> out to resolve this problem it is critical and i've already crossed the
> deadline...
>
> ->log messages from kernel booting:
> [    0.000000] of_mpm_init(): Cannot find irq controller for qcom,gic-parent
> [    0.000000] of_mpm_init(): Cannot find irq controller for
> qcom,gpio-parent
> [    0.000000] irq: no irq domain found for
> /soc/interrupt-controller at F9000000

You should try to narrow down the problem. there are several factors
firstly make sure
that kernel version you are using is compiled/booted OK with gcc 4.8,
then make sure
that resulting .config when building kernel inside OE framework is
same as you expected
it to be. There might be additional tweaks that framework will do to defconfig
and it could be thats causing problems.

Is the device tree correctly used

are there modules which are not being loaded properly since you kept
the rootfs unmodified
you will end up doing mix and match of kernel and modules.