[yocto] What is the best practice for customizing libraries included in yocto distribution?

Federico Vitali fede.vitali at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 02:04:53 PDT 2014

Thank you Nicolas.
I try to explain better, sorry, yesterday I wrote the email in a hurry.

I'm working to build an OS based on sato, but I have to modify the code
of some libraries included in the distribution. When I wrote "customize"
I meant modify source code.

I answer to your questions:

> can you be a bit more specific? not sure i understand completely what
> you want to do. also how are you getting your distribution?
> it's
> prebuilt and you only have the image or you build it yourself from
> recipes?

I'm basing my distribution on sato-sdk. I've built it from source. I've
built and
installed a cross toolchain and root filesystem to use for building. I'm
developing applications
using the cross toolchain, adt tools and Eclipse. It is all set up properly.

> telling us more about the trouble might be useful. also telling how
> you build the toolchain and sysrootfs.

I have to modify some source code of some gstreamer plugins to support
some custom functionalities. During the developement I would like to
work outside bitbake to develop / compile / debug on the target. I know
that when I've finished I can simply add my patch to a bb append file of
my own, and when the developement will be finished I will certainly do.

> well, that would definitely be the more natural way of customizing
> existing recipes. that's what most people would do in their own
> layers, generally with .bbappend recipes. it's probably even easier to
> do that building your own toolchain/SDK to some extends.. why don't
> you like this option?

I certainly use this option when I customize existing recipes! My problem
is in developement phase.

This is the specific problem I get when I try to build gst-plugins-base:

ake[4]: ingresso nella directory
"/home/vitalife/sources/gst-plugins-base-0.10.36/gst-libs/gst/tag"
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gstvorbistag.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gstid3tag.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gstxmptag.lo
gstxmptag.c: In function 'xmp_tag_type_get_name':
gstxmptag.c:178:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
[-Wreturn-type]
 }
 ^
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gstexiftag.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-lang.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-licenses.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-tags.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gsttagdemux.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gsttagmux.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-gsttageditingprivate.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-id3v2.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-id3v2frames.lo
  CC     libgsttag_0.10_la-xmpwriter.lo
  CCLD   libgsttag-0.10.la
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libgstbase-0.10.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libgstreamer-0.10.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libgobject-2.0.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libgmodule-2.0.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libgthread-2.0.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/
libglib-2.0.la' was moved.
libtool: link: warning: library
`/opt/poky/1.5.1/sysroots/armv6-vfp-poky-linux-gnueabi/usr/lib/libxml2.la'
was moved.
sed: can't read /usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.la: No such file or directory
libtool: link: `=/usr/lib/libgstreamer-0.10.la' is not a valid libtool
archive
make[4]: *** [libgsttag-0.10.la] Errore 1

The library configured for cross compilation. I'm starting from the sources
patched as in yocto.

Any help appreciated!