[yocto] What is the best practice for customizing libraries included in yocto distribution?

Nicolas Dechesne nicolas.dechesne at linaro.org
Fri Mar 14 01:35:44 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Federico Vitali <fede.vitali at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> what should I do to customize and crosscompile a library already distributed
> with yocto?

can you be a bit more specific? not sure i understand completely what
you want to do. also how are you getting your distribution? it's
prebuilt and you only have the image or you build it yourself from
recipes?

> I see 2 possibilities:
>
> 1. Build and install a toolchain and sysrootfs on local host and untar the
> original library,
>    apply yocto distributed patches and then cross compile ==> I'm having
> trouble here

telling us more about the trouble might be useful. also telling how
you build the toolchain and sysrootfs.

> 2. Use the yocto build environment itself, but I don't like this option.

well, that would definitely be the more natural way of customizing
existing recipes. that's what most people would do in their own
layers, generally with .bbappend recipes. it's probably even easier to
do that building your own toolchain/SDK to some extends.. why don't
you like this option?