[yocto] Yocto on X86 Question

Maxim Radugin maxim.radugin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 00:07:37 PDT 2014

Hello Albert,

You can use initramfs to accomplish all of your tasks.
1) Take a look at meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/initramfs-live-boot_1.0.bb
as a starting point, it provides ability to mount rootfs with overlay fs in
ram (but all the modifications to rootfs are lost after reboot); You'll
have to write your own implementation where other partition or file is used
as an overlay;
2) You will have to create web interface yourself; Typically you have to
upload update files using web ui to some location which is accessible from
initramfs; then from the initramfs script check if there are update files
available, validate them, and replace existing initrd, vmlinuz rootfs.img,
remove update files and reboot;
3) I don't think that there is such functionality out of the box, because
it is very application-specific, but you can write your own implementation;
Again, this can be done from the initramfs script, just recreate partition
or file with overlay, this will return rootfs to its initial state;

Probably you will have to re-partition your CF card for your specific
needs, take a look at meta-raspberrypi/classes/sdcard_image-rpi.bbclass.

BR,
Maxim.