[yocto] Best way to "freeze" Yocto for production

Marlon Smith marlon.smith10 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 10:31:05 PDT 2014

Hi everyone,

We've decided to use Yocto in our company's product!  And I have a
question:

Since Yocto is updated pretty frequently, at some point we'll need to
freeze everything and keep a permanent copy so that we can make small
changes/bug fixes without having to worry about anything being changed
outside of our control.  My current theory is that we'll do a bitbake -c
fetchall, then zip up the entire Yocto directory and save it somewhere
so we'll always have a static copy.  We'll place our application and
custom bsp layer under a separate Git repository, and then to do a build
we'll just combine everything together and run bitbake on the whole
thing.

Is there a better or recommended way of doing this?

Thanks again, and I'm excited to start working with Yocto!

Marlon