[yocto] Building for Boards not supported by Yocto Project

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Thu Jun 5 07:44:17 PDT 2014

On 14-06-05 07:28 AM, Kashyap Gada wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have successfully built and tested core-image-sato through the process
> given by the quick start guide at the yocto project website. Now I
> intend to build an image for a board which is not officially supported
> by yocto project. I have a FriendlyArm mini6410 whose BSP is available
> for linux.
>
> I would like to know how should I proceed further.
> Is it possible to use the same BSP without any changes and make an image
> using Yocto?

Using the Yocto BSP guide
(http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/bsp-guide/bsp-guide.html)
as a reference, you can create a minimal BSP layer for the board.

You don't have to do everything in the guide, but you do need to
have a machine definition, the userspace tuning and a custom kernel
recipe for the platform (i.e. you point at some vendor or project
tree that has all the required patches).

Unless the support for the board is already in the mainline kernel, and
then you can have a custom linux-yocto recipe to leverage the existing
configuration and code in the linux-yocto repository.

Cheers,

Bruce