[yocto] Building image without kernel

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Mon Jul 21 03:13:29 PDT 2014

Hi Wiktor,

On Monday 21 July 2014 10:02:50 Wiktor S. Ovalle Correa wrote:
> I didn't find it anywhere - is it possible to only use linux headers
> without compiling kernel?
>
> My problem is rather unusual - i got to use custom kernel which has been
> customized long ago in a horrible way by a former co-worker so it's
> impossible to compile it with yocto in a reasonable time, but i need its
> headers to compile other parts of a system.
>
> And it appears that it might be enough to only disable building kernel
> modules, if there's a way to do so.

You can have your own recipe that has PROVIDES = "virtual/kernel" (and would
also need to be selected in configuration as the PREFERRED_PROVIDER of that)
but that only installs the headers. You'd probably do well to use the
linux-dummy recipe as an example (meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-dummy.bb).

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton