[yocto] Building image without kernel

Jegan Chandru pcjegan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 02:55:38 PDT 2014

​Hi,

You can skip kernel build by a custom python function. It is supported by
bitbake. There is an event called '*SkipPackage*'
I did this for my custom distro in dylan. You can add this in your
linux.bbappend.

python __anonymous () {
    import bb, re
    nokb = (re.match('*insert ur distroname*', d.getVar('DISTRO', True)) !=
None)
    if nokb:
        raise bb.parse.SkipPackage("Skipping Yocto Kernel Build for our %s
Distro" %
                                   d.getVar('DISTRO', True))

-JC

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:32 PM, Wiktor S. Ovalle Correa <
w.s.ovalle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I didn't find it anywhere - is it possible to only use linux headers
> without compiling kernel?
>
> My problem is rather unusual - i got to use custom kernel which has been
> customized long ago in a horrible way by a former co-worker so it's
> impossible to compile it with yocto in a reasonable time, but i need its
> headers to compile other parts of a system.
>
> And it appears that it might be enough to only disable building kernel
> modules, if there's a way to do so.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated,
> wiktor

JCP