[yocto] Best way to make use of kernel defconf for supported hw?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Jul 18 10:48:10 PDT 2014

On 14-07-18 01:10 PM, Chris Enrique wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i need some advice:
>
> i have created a bsp for a board which is supported by the linux kernel.
> so my bsp doesn't focus on kernel patching or similar, just contains
> some other board specific content.
>
> how do i use the kernel defconf for this board which is located under
> arch/architecture/.../.../board_defconfig as kernel config in my bsp?
>
> i know there's several approaches. mine would have been to use defconfig
> and create a config fragment from it but somehow my mind tells me that
> there must be a better way?! just reference the board_defconfig file or sth?

The default configuration policies for the kernel classes require
the kernel defconfig to be in the SRC_URI, so you'd need to pull
it out of the kernel tree, put it in your layer and add it to the
SRC_URI.

If you just want to tweak a linux-yocto configuration, or tweak
that defconfig, you can add configuration fragments to the SRC_URI
as well.

To use the in-tree defconfig, you could always create a bbappend
to the base kernel recipe you are using, and arrange for that
in tree config to end up called "defconfig" in WORKDIR, and the
rest of the default processing would find and use it.

I have some tools that create kernel configuration fragments from
defconfigs, but if you are really just looking to get started and
set a baseline on something other than linux-yocto, the defconfig
is probably the best bet.

Bruce